Discover how to activate cannabis through decarboxylation to unleash its full effect in your kitchen creations. This simple process is key to maximizing the potency of cannabis in edible products.
Decarboxylation is a chemical process in which a carboxyl group (COOH) is removed from a chemical compound. In the context of cannabis, decarboxylation specifically refers to the conversion of THCA, a non-psychoactive acid form of THC, into the psychoactive THC. This transformation occurs through the application of heat. Decarboxylation of cannabis involves heating the THCA into THC, which activates the psychoactive properties of cannabis.
There are 2 different methods for cannabis decarboxylation, which are explained in the following section.
Decarboxylation in the oven
- Crushing Cannabis: Start by coarsely chopping the cannabis. It doesn't need to be pulverized, but small enough to ensure even heat exposure.
- Temperature and time: Preheat your oven to 105-120°C. This temperature is crucial because it is high enough to remove the acid groups (particularly THCA in THC) without destroying the valuable cannabinoids.
- Heat: Spread the crushed cannabis on a baking sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes. This duration allows decarboxylation to occur completely without breaking down the cannabinoids.
- Cooling: Allow the cannabis to cool after baking. It is now ready for use in various recipes where active THC is desired.
Decarboxylation using the vacuum method
- Prepare cannabis : Roughly chop the cannabis.
- Vacuum Seal: Place the cannabis in a vacuum bag and seal it airtight.
- To heat: Place the sealed bag in a water bath or special vacuum cooker. Heat the cannabis at a constant temperature of around 80°C.
- Time Consideration: Leave the cannabis at this temperature for 1-2 hours.
- Cooling: After heating, remove the bag from the water bath/vacuum cooker and allow to cool. This method requires precise timing and temperature control to achieve the best results.
Remember that the effects of cannabis when consumed are different than when smoked. Start with a low dose to test the effects and give your body time to respond. Enjoy your homemade cannabis products responsibly and in good company.
When preparing and consuming products containing THC, it is important to always adhere to the legal regulations that apply in the respective country.